American University of Biblical Studies
During the late sixties and early seventies Biblical education and ministry training for lay persons was scarce. The American University Of Biblical Studies was founded in 1971 because of the demand from Christians in the Atlanta area who desired a reformed study of God’s Word.
Since 1971 God has enabled AUBS to overcome many hurdles and work through several obstacles. In 1987, after seven moves, we purchased our campus at 4468 Covington Highway in Decatur, Georgia. In 1996, God blessed us with the adjoining property. This land had a house which has been converted into a counseling center with enough space to significantly increase our parking.
The faculty is well qualified to deliver relevant instruction; whether on campus or in an external format. AUBS specializes in helping students prepare for the ministry to which God has called them. This applies not only to areas of ministry within the church but in all areas of life. The student begins to develop a Biblical world view that all areas of study must be related to the Scriptures.
AUBS grew from training Lay people on Monday nights to offering Degrees and Certificates; Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctorates. Our trickle of graduates has grown to a steady stream of people flowing effectively into positions of ministry.
AUBS is unique because of our strong Biblical, Reformed position and our extremely affordable tuition. This makes AUBS not only attractive, but accessible to those who could not possibly afford an education elsewhere.
AUBS prays that the Lord will direct you as you consider joining AUBS’ diverse student body for a Christian education to fulfill His purpose through you.
“And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.”
(II Timothy 2:2)
“The value of your education is not only that you remember what is taught, but what you are as a result of what is taught. The real teaching process is incomplete until it reaches fulfillment in your life and is then shared with others.”
(Rev., Dr. Ben Wilkinson, Past President)
The purpose of the American University Of Biblical Studies is to educate men and women of diversity to accurately interpret and apply the Bible to every aspect of their lives, to defend and share their faith in Jesus Christ with their family and friends, business associates and neighbors; in education, counseling, and church leadership, or as pastors and/or missionaries.
The American University Of Biblical Studies:
- Believes that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are inspired by God, without error, and reign preeminent over all other things as the sole objective authority given by God; and that the Bible expresses the perfect will of God and, in conjunction with the Holy Spirit, is the final Authority for teaching, discipline, and doctrine in the Church.
- Is Reformed in its theological teaching, and is committed to the standards expressed in the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms. The faculty and staff affirm a unified doctrine based on rational Biblical interpretation.
- Emphasizes the practical as well as the theological aspects of ministry. The faculty believes that learning “how” to minister is as important as learning “what” to minister. AUBS trains as well as instructs.
- Offers affordable classes that are designed with the working student in mind. Some day time classes are available.
- Is open to new and non-traditional ministries as well as the traditional pastoral, counseling, educational, and missionary ministries. Both ministers and lay workers can expect individual attention and encouragement in their areas of interest, and they can get to know their professors. AUBS professors may be men or women.
- Believes that the historical Presbyterian form of Church government most closely follows the Biblical model.
Each faculty member at the American University Of Biblical Studies agrees to the following doctrinal statement which summarizes the doctrinal position of the school:
- We stand firmly on the Bible as the infallible and inerrant written Word Of God.
- We sincerely receive and adopt the doctrines of the historic Reformed Faith as expressed in the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms and in other historic Reformed confessions.
- We believe the Scripture of the Old and New Testaments to be the inspired Word Of God, the only inerrant and infallible rule of faith and practice.
- We believe that there is but one living, sovereign, and true God, existing eternally in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and in His virgin birth, His sinlessness, His miracles, His vicarious atonement by the shedding of His blood, His bodily resurrection, His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that all men are lost in sin apart from Jesus Christ, and that the only way of salvation is through faith alone in Jesus Christ, as enabled by the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit who enables the Christian to live an obedient, fruitful life, resulting in a “follower of Christ.”
- We believe in the resurrection of both the believer and the unbeliever; that the believer will be raised up in everlasting glory (Heaven) and the unbeliever will be sent away into everlasting punishment (Hell).
- We believe that evangelism at home and around the world is the primary mission of the church of our Lord Jesus Christ. We are dependent upon the work of the Holy Spirit and the Word Of God for fruit.
- We believe that the positive fruit of evangelism should be carefully gathered into a body, Biblically called the church, according to the Holy Scriptures, for nurturing in the worship of God and training in the things of God, according to the Holy Scriptures.